| Software Name | Inspiration | Kurzweil 3000 | iCommunicator |
| Company | Inspiration Software, Inc. | Cambium Learning Technologies Company | Interactive Solutions, Inc. |
| Price | $69 (single license) $895 (20 licenses) | $2,695 (Color learning lab pack-5) | $6,499 (software kit) $2,499 (upgrade kit) |
| Features | Create outlines, webs, concept maps, graphic organizers, process flows, and presentations | Comprehensive reading, writing, and learning software for struggling students. | Translates (in real time) from speech to text, speech/text to video sign language, and speech/text to computer generated voice. Also has a built in dictionary and thesaurus. |
| Pros | -Price -Students do the work but the shell is there to help them. -Allows movement between visual and written formats -Reinforces curriculum work -Visual appeal | -Provides access to any curriculum -Improves study skills -Provides decoding support while reading -Provides writing and self-editing tools | -Three translation types -Happens in real time -30,000 word signing vocabulary -250,000 English word library -Access to the Internet -All grade levels can benefit. |
| Cons | -For grades 6-12 | -Price -Unrealistic voice on read aloud | -Price -Limited signing vocabulary -Teacher must wear a headset |
I was impressed with all of these software programs. I was disappointed in the reading voice in the Kurzweil program though. It was still somewhat "roboty." I am excited to use Inspiration in my classroom. We have been learning about graphic organizers and story webs so I will have a chance to put it to actual practice. I wish I had known about some of these programs when my grandma was struggling with macular degeneration. As an avid reader, I know some of these programs could have really helped her continue reading as her eyesight deteriorated. I can only imagine that the assistive technology is going to continue to improve as time goes on. It is nice to know that people with disabilites can feel more independent and "normal" with the help of these software systems.
2 comments:
yes, wonder what the future holds...
We use Inspiration in our school and we love it! I've been using it with students from K to 5th grade and it really helps with planning writing projects and mapping out their ideas. (We have Kidspiration for the younger grades K-2.) I think when we bought our license pack we got copies for the teachers to take home too so they could learn to use it and plan from home. It is a great deal!
Post a Comment