I found the YouTube video to be very powerful. It turned things around and made me think about what it might be like if this world wasn't made for someone like me. I was watching a show on television about a couple of short stature and the birth of their child. They pointed out how things that would seem to be simple, like changing their son's diaper while out and about, isn't easy at all because they can't reach the changing table. This world wasn't made for people their size, but they are able to live independently and use many types of assistive technology to help them. I am happy that I live in a time when people are assisted and not sent away to live in homes or just written off. I know its still not an ideal world, but it seems to be getting a lot better.
I took the quiz and only missed one question. I chose true for the statement employers of people with disabilities need special skills to work with them. I guess maybe you just need to be a special person to reach out and assist them. I am sure there are plenty of employers out there that would think it is more difficult to have an employee with a disability. A greenhouse that I worked at while in high school and college always had a group of people with disabilities working in the greenhouse to fill pots, etc. It always seemed like they enjoyed what they were doing and we enjoyed having them there.
Here are the five websites I found regarding assistive technology:
1-Michigan's Assistive Technology Program: http://www.copower.org/at/index.htm
2-John Williams' Assistive Technology Column: http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/list/assist01.htm
3-American Speech-Language-Hearing Association: http://www.asha.org/public/hearing/treatment/assist_tech.htm
4-Assistive Technology Blog by Dr. Friedlander: http://assistivetek.blogspot.com/
5-Government Standards about Assistive Technology: http://standards.gov/standards_gov/assistiveTechnology.cfm
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Good that you were able to leverage your experience; good URLs
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the movie clip. I also found it powerful and made think differently about accessibility.
Post a Comment