Sunday, November 15, 2009

Assistive Technology-Module 1

I found the National Federation of the Blind website to be very interesting. I am always amazed at the strength people who are different-abled have. Reading about the different programs on the website reminded me of a group of people the philanthropic sorority I am in works with. We go to the Michigan Blind Rehab Center once a month during the winter to play bingo (using Braille boards) with the residents. They are people from all over the state being trained on how to live an independent life without eyesight (or little eyesight). They are strong, determined people. I thought that the "Braille Readers are Leaders" program was a great way to get children reading and just because they read a different way doesn't make it any less important. As a first grade teacher I am constantly pushing early literacy programs.
The National Center for Learning Disabilities website had some suggestions in their teacher section that I will be able to give a whirl in my classroom. There was a great section on monitoring progress and some different ways to do that. It is always good to branch out and try different assessment techniques to make sure that every student has the opportunity to be successful.
I think these 5 modules about assistive technology are going to be very interesting!

1 comment:

Lesley Farmer said...

what a great service activity with Bingo!