Sunday, November 22, 2009

Assistive Technology-Module 2

1-I really enjoyed looking through the EnableMart website. They have some amazing things! I really liked some of the early reading tools like the LeapFrog Tag School Reading System. It was pretty expensive but a website like DonorsChoose.org could help to raise funds. I just like that it gives students more freedom to feel like they are reading. I hear "I can't read" over and over from my students and when they find a book that they can read they are so proud of themselves. I would love to see them use the LeapFrog tag and feel independent in their reading. I was amazed at all the things that are out their to assist people and allow them to do the same things that everyone else does.
2-Situation #1-student with a low reading level-a cd player with the curriculum stories in audio versions so they can listen to the story and answer the questions without having to read them on their own. Situation #2-a student with a very high IQ who has perfectionism issues with handwriting-using an alphasmart to type assignments and papers to that the frustration level doesn't get out of control when their handwriting isn't perfect. Situation #3-a hearing impaired student-using an amplification system within the classroom to help the student hear everything the teacher is saying. Regular ed. students can also benefit from the use of these systems because they can hear the teacher more loudly and clearly.
4-I was very impressed with the link that took me to all of the adaptvie keyboard types. That is an amazing list! I had no idea that there were so many choices out there to help people with different needs. The other site that I enjoyed looking at was the EnableMart site. I spent a lot of time just looking around at what there was out there. In my 9 year teaching career I haven't really had any students with severe disabilities. These sites really opened my eyes to what is out there.
5-The possibilities for hardware is limitless. I am sure that is comes down to price most of the time. Some of the items that are so technologically advanced are very expensive. I find that to be frustrating because so many people need and could use the assistance but they can't afford it. With all of the cuts in the education system, it is only going to get harder to get these extra assistive items. Some of the hardware, like the pen-like devices would be great for older students in middle school and high school.

1 comment:

Lesley Farmer said...

I agree that costs can be frustrating; fed funds can help