Tuesday, October 14, 2008
Now Showing...
Wow! Movie copyright law is very different from what I expected. Showing a movie during inside recess, during meetings, on a charter bus, making a backup copy, and showing them at a school-sponsored event are all copyright violations. "Any display or performance of a copyrighted work...would require a license (Simpson, 73)." That is shocking to me! We always show movies during inside recess because we don't have a lot of games/activities for the kids to do and it keeps them quiet. I am going to have to re-evaluate some of the things I do in my classroom in regards to movies. It is important to make sure that your copy is either from the library or owned by a student or teacher and it must pertain to what is being taught in the classroom as well as align with your grade level standards.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I agree with your wow comment. I think this is a major violation that teachers are making when it comes to movies. Are you saying that if the library has the movie it is okay to show it?
how would you verify if the students copy was purchased. it could have been borrowed or copied from another source. this just opens up other ramifications
Post a Comment